Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Canada) is providing Student GIC Program (the "Program") to international students who plan to apply Canadian Study Permit and Visa through Student Direct Stream ("SDS") or other applicable program with Guaranteed Investment Certificate("GIC").
☆Who may apply：
To be eligible for this Program, Students must be a legal resident in one of the designated countries at IRCC's official website.
*Currently, we only offer this Program to Chinese Residents. For more banks may provide GIC for your country, please visit IRCC official website.
- Faster Process：Generally, it only takes three (3) business days to have you GIC Certificate ready for printing once your application is approved.
- Easy Access：You can submit application, check your real time application status, and print GIC certificate through our online GIC platform.
- Cross-Border Financial Service: GIC program will provide more benefits and discounts to international students in cross-border financial service package.
- Program Benefit: special benefit and promotion more than a mere account opening.
- Group Advantages: To open an account with ICBC Canada through ICBC branches in China will provide you more efficient communication within one ICBC group.
To apply, check application status, download GIC certificate, activate account:
Please visit Student GIC Online Platform
Study Permit Application (with GIC)
Study Direct Stream (SDS)
-- Suitable for student whose language proficiency is up to standard and have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution.
-- With the exception of SDS, it is suitable for student who has been accepted by a designated learning institute.
Primary and Secondary Program
-- Suitable for student who is accepted by an eligible primary or secondary school.
For more information, please click links above to visit IRCC official website:
Our Student GIC
- One-Year Student GIC
Principal：CAD 10,000 *If you require a certificate of other amount, please contact us first.
Interest Rate：0.2 % *The daily interest rate listed by ICBK Canada shall prevail
Fund is on hold in your GIC account. You can't access it until you arrive in Canada and activate your account. After activation, your fund will be released by following schedule:
*Simple interest is calculated in days and paid with each monthly scheduled payment.
- Program Fee
Program administrative fee is CAD 200 per application. (Non-refundable)
(*In-person verification fee may apply at Chinese ICBC Branch)
Required documents for GIC Application
- Original Government ID (Chinese Citizen ID)
- Original Passport
- Letter of Acceptance or conditional Letter of Acceptance of a Canadian designated university or college.
(*If it is an electronic version, please print it yourself and bring the original electronic version for review.)
For applicants under the age of 16, additional documents are required:
- Parent/Guardian's Original Government ID (Chinese Citizen ID)
- Birth Certificate or any legal document that use to prove parent-child relationship or guardianship.
- IELTS transcript if apply SDS
- Parent/Guardian's passport if plan to accompany the applicant in Canada
Special Attention for minor applicant
- Minor applicant must be accompanied by a Parent/Guardian and sign the application together at ICBC branch in China. It cannot be processed by a representative.
- For minor applicants under age of 15 when arrive in Canada, their parent/guardians must either accompany them to activate the GIC account in Canada, or visit the original ICBC branch in China to assist the account activation for their children.
GIC Application Status Enquiry
To check your application status, please visit
Student GIC Online Platform
- You can print the account opening confirmation letter online and get Canadian account information for subsequent remittance.
- You can print GIC certificate online for applying for your study permit.
- You can activate account online after arriving in Canada.
- You can find the application form number back online if you forget it.
- Prepare all required documents and visit an ICBC branch in China for applying GIC program.
- Generally, it takes about two(2) business days to get your account number if your application is approved. Online enquiry available next day after your application submitted.
- For a Student GIC certificate, you will be required to remit CAD10,000 for GIC principal, plus CAD200 for administrative fee, for a total of CAD10,200 to your new student account.*
- We will send you a confirmation e-mail when funds are credited to your GIC account. Generally, within two(2) business days, you could print GIC certificate online.**
- *CAD10200 is the minimum fund requirement. Considering there may be some intermediate bank charges for your remittance, we suggest you remit CAD10300 to cover potential intermediate bank charges. Any residual fund over CAD10200 will remain in your account.
- **Please contact us if you cannot print GIC certificate online two(2) business days after receiving the e-mail Notification.
To Activate Your Account
Please send us an "Arrival Notification" once you arrive in Canada, so that we can send you a welcome package including the latest activation guide.
Please send an e-mail with the topic of "Arrival Notification" to StudentGIC@icbk.ca, you email should include:
- Date of Arrival:
- Application Number:
- Passport Number:
- Valid address in Canada:
- Mother's surname (answer of security question):
- My parent/guardian will accompany me when I study in Canada: Yes / No
- How would you like to activate your account: at branch/ remote activation.
Methods to activate your account:
- Activate by visiting a branch: bring necessary documents to a branch.
- Activate by mail: mail the copy of necessary documents and the activation application form to a designed branch
- Activate online: scan necessary documents and submit activation account application online.
* Please call branch to make an appointment before your visiting.
* Please send "Arrival Notification" before submitting application by mail or online.
Required documents for activating account:
- Passport （photo page and visa page）
- Proof of arrival （entry stamp on passport and valid study permit）
- Valid formal letter of acceptance, student ID card, Enrolment and Registration Letter from a Canadian Educational Institution.
- If there are any additional required documents, we will inform you by reply your "Arrival Notification".
Schedule of Payment
CAD2,000 will be released to you upon account activation, followed by ten CAD800 monthly payments.
Pick up your bank card and online security tool
- Applicants over the age of 15 could get bank card and electronic token in the branch.
- If you remotely activate account, we will mail the bank card and online security tool to your address in Canada
- （*Applicants under the age of 15 please contact us for further information. ）
Students can only ask for GIC refund when account is not activated on one of following condition：
- VISA/Study Permit application is rejected
- Study plan changed after VISA/Study Permit application is approved. (Have to cancel VISA first)
- Study plan changed and withdrawal VISA/Study Permit application before it is approved.
Students can only apply to close the GIC account after activation if one of following condition met：
- All GIC fund has been released on schedule.
- VISA/Study Permit is expired or cancelled.
- Required Documents:
- Personal ID
- Proof of eligibility of refund such as Refusal Letter
- We will check your eligibility of refund and VISA/Study Permit Status with IRCC.
- Once you submit refund application, your GIC certificate will be invalid.
*Do not send use refund application if you still want to use the GIC to apply VISA/Study Permit. Otherwise, you will have to apply for another GIC certificate.
- We will deduct associated service fee and remit your account balance back to your original account in China.
- Generally, it will take about four (4) weeks to process your refund application.